Carabao Cup Round Up

Bournemouth put their Premier League troubles to one side with a 3-1 home win over Middlesbrough.

Debutant Jack Simpson put the Cherries ahead four minutes into the second half, but Boro were level in the 56th minute through Marcus Tavernier.

However, Eddie Howe’s team – who picked up only their second league win when beating Stoke at the weekend – were strong during the closing stages as forward Callum Wilson, making his first appearance since January following a serious knee injury, slotted in a penalty in the 75th minute and Benik Afobe wrapped things up late on.

Managerless Leicester came from behind to beat Leeds 3-1 at the King Power Stadium.

Pablo Hernandez had put the Championship side ahead in the 26th minute but Kelechi Iheanacho soon levelled on the half-hour.

Islam Slimani gave the Foxes the lead in the 71st minute and a fine effort from Riyad Mahrez sealed victory with two minutes left.

Claudio Bravo was the hero as stuttering Manchester City needed penalties to see off hard-working Wolves and make the quarter-finals.

Pep Guardiola’s Premier League leaders hosted Nuno Espirito Santo’s Sky Bet Championship table-toppers in a match that promised much but failed to deliver goals over 120 minutes.

Often-maligned Bravo saved City’s blushes on several occasions during the match and proved the spot-kick hero, denying Alfred N’Diaye and Conor Coady as the hosts won the penalty shootout 4-1 after the game ended 0-0.

Crystal Palace were dumped out of the Carabao Cup as Bristol City came from behind to win 4-1 at Ashton Gate.

Bakary Sako had put Roy Hodgson’s much-changed side, who are bottom of the top-flight table with just three points, ahead in the 21st minute.

However, Matt Taylor equalised in the 34th minute after a mistake from Patrick van Aanholt and City were in front five minutes later through a close-range finish from Milan Djuric.

Joe Bryan crashed home a third on the hour when his left-foot drive went in off the crossbar, with Republic of Ireland winger Callum O’Dowda knocking in a fourth six minutes later to compound a miserable night for the Eagles.