MONDAY, March 04, 2019 – Court stations are set to receive a bigger allocation of financial resources beginning next financial year to enhance administration of justice.
Speaking today at the annual Heads of Stations forum in Mombasa, Chief Registrar of the Judiciary (CRJ) Anne Amadi said the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) passed a resolution to increase by 11 per cent the allocation for court stations, a move that will now see stations get 81 per cent of the total Judiciary budget allocation, leaving the headquarters with 19 per cent.
The Chief Registrar revealed that last week’s negotiations with the Justice and Legal Affairs Committee of Parliament (JLAC) led to a KSh2 billion increase to Judiciary’s allocation, bringing the total to KSh18 billion.
Ms Amadi said the increase in allocation of resources to Judiciary will go a long way in improving the performance of the courts in the administration of justice. She urged the courts to utilize the finances they get prudently and promised that the situation will improve as Judiciary continues to negotiate with Parliament.
She challenged the heads to ensure they realise the Judiciary’s strategic plan; Sustaining Judiciary Transformation (SJT), at the station level.
The CRJ explained that it was imperative for the heads of stations to also engage with the Office of the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) on matters revolving around criminal justice in order to explore ways of fast-tracking cases.
Ms Amadi said the Heads of Station forum should provide a platform to look into operations at the stations in order to learn from peers.
She encouraged the heads to share innovations at various courts stations in order to pass on good practices that have assisted in the delivery of justice.
“It is important to muster some fundamental tenets of good leadership in order to serve better, privileges as Heads of Stations should not cloud judgment, leadership is not about us but those around us,” she said.
Registrar of the Magistrates’ Courts Peter Mulwa, who also spoke at the forum, urged the heads to embrace technology and involve everyone in managing the stations.
“The use of technology will guide you in understanding core values and delivering tangible results to the public,” said Mr Mulwa.
He called on the officers to maintain high levels of integrity and serve with commitment.
The five-day forum, themed: “Going back to Basics in Strengthening and Sustaining Judiciary Transformation,” is being attended by over 100 heads of station to deliberate implementation of the SJT.