The tumultuous tenure of Frenchman Sebastien Migne as the head coach of Kenya’s senior national soccer team, Harambee Stars, came to an end on Monday.
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) said in a statement that the departure of the former coach of Congo Brazzaville, who took the reins of Harambee Stars in May 2018, came just 14 months into his initial three-year deal.
“Consequently, FKF and Migne have agreed on a settlement for the coach, over a period of time. The Federation wishes to thank Migne for his exemplary work and high standard of professionalism during his tenure, which culminated in the country qualifying for the 2019 AFCON tournament for the first time in 15 years,” FKF said.
It said the reorganization and appointment process for a new technical bench is already underway and the coaching team to steer the Harambee Stars forward will be announced shortly.
“We wish the coach all the best in his future endeavors, this even as we turn our focus on the upcoming 2021 AFCON qualifiers, with a view to try and qualify for the final tournament,” it added.
Migne’s assistant Francis and former Stars head coach Kimanzi is widely tipped to succeed the Frenchman who saw Kenya lose to the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations finalists, Algeria and Senegal in Group C of the continental showpiece in Egypt.
Despite beating neighbors Tanzania in their second encounter, other results knocked Stars out of the competition on an inferior goal difference in the race to qualify for the last 16 as one of the best third-placed teams across all the six groups of the competition.
After facing a backlash for his squad selection for the AFCON, Migne dared FKF to sack him last week after the country was knocked out of the 2020 CAF African Nations Championship (CHAN) qualifiers by Tanzania.
This was a result of the barrage of criticism he received after his team fell 1-4 on post-match penalties after the two legs of their CHAN qualifiers ended 0-0 on aggregate.