One US Service member and two civilian defense contractors are among the three people killed during Sunday attack at a military base in Lamu, American Military says.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of our teammates who lost their lives today,” General Stephen Townsend, the head of US Africa Command (Africom) said.
Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) on its part issued a statement saying “Four terrorists’ bodies have so far been found” following the attack that occurred at 5.30am Camp Simba in Manda Bay.
“This morning at around 5:30 am an attempt was made to breach security at Manda Air Strip. The attempted breach was successfully repulsed,” Col Njuguna said in a statement to newsrooms.
An Africom statement issued Sunday night said six contractor-operated civilian aircraft were damaged in the attack. Vehicles too were damaged.
“It is an al-Qaeda affiliate seeking to establish a self-governed Islamic territory in East Africa, to remove Western influence and ideals from the region, and to further its jihadist agenda. US presence in Africa is critically important to counter-terrorism efforts.”