Kenya’s Chief Justice David Maraga on Friday suspended all open court activities in the coastal city of Mombasa after 11 staff members tested positive for COVID-19.
Maraga said the 11 staff members are part of the 117 cases that were announced by the ministry of health last week.
“In view of these developments, we have suspended all open court activities in Mombasa until further notice. We shall however as much as possible, endeavor to offer online and other virtual services to court users,” he said.
The statement came hours after the ministry of health said 112 of the new cases are Kenyans and five are foreigners and are from 3,043 samples which were tested in the last 24 hours.
Rashid Aman, chief administrative secretary in the ministry of health, said the new infections pushes the country’s confirmed positive cases to 4,374.
Aman said two more people succumbed to the respiratory disease in Kenya, raising the death toll to 119.
He said 91 people have however been discharged, bringing the total number of recoveries to 1,550.
The east African nation has banned large gatherings to ensure social distancing, closed learning institutions, imposed a countrywide night curfew, suspended international passenger flights and closed borders among other measures to contain the spread of COVID-19.